Tuesday, July 23, 2013

JESUS____THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT THAT NAME

In the gospels when the name 'Jesus' is used it is generally stressing our Lord's humanity. It was a very common name and so much so, that when our Lord was referred to by that name it was often distinguished with the user adding phrases like "from Nazareth" or "the Nazarene." In Matthew 21:11 the crowd answers the question of who He was by saying, "This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee," and that because there were so many others who went by that name in the region.

It is by the name "Jesus" that our Lord identified Himself to Saul of Tarsus in that magnificent encounter on the road to Damascus. Then, when Stephen saw Him at the stoning that ended Stephen's life, it is said that he saw "Jesus" at the right hand of Jehovah. Both the use of that name and the vision of Him standing, gives real power to His empathetic relationship with the pain Stephen was feeling in the moment. It was a very human/divine moment.

Paul would frequently use the simple name "Jesus" because he was so often stressing His humanity. [See 1 Thessalonians 4:14 & 11 Corinthians 4:11-14] But because of His uniqueness, Paul the Apostle would also often add the divine title with that simple name making it, "Jesus Christ" or "Lord Jesus" which testifies to the fact that Jesus is the Christ and is, in fact, God Incarnate. The unique God/man.

To firm up his case for who that "Jesus" is whom he worshipped, Paul told Titus that Jesus is "that great God and our Savior."[Titus 2:13-14] So we see that Paul personally held to, and testified about, how really wonderful a gift was, this one who went by that normal and well known name of "Jesus," to all of us.

Bill and Gloria Gathier were on to something special when they penned the words to this old song.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
There's just something about that name
Master, Savior, Jesus
Like the fragrance after the rain
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
Let all heaven and earth proclaim
Kings and kingdoms shall all pass away

But there's something about that name.

"Jesus"____There really is something about that name.


Paul B.

UPDATE.......

It has become necessary for me to take some time off from blog writing. With some travel over the next few weeks and in early September a knee replacement, it could be some time before I resume.

Thanks for being a reader and have a great rest of the summer.

5 comments:

Aussie John said...

Paul,

I would hate to be at the time of life and poor health which is mine at this time, without having the certainty that "There really is something about that name."

I'm sorry you have to have be absent, especially to have knee surgery.

You have been much appreciated by this Aussie who looks for a serve of 'vtbottomline' most early a.m.'s, and who has been blessed mightily to find a brother such as yourself.

Paul Burleson said...

Aussie J,

Last Sunday morning preaching in Forth Worth Texas I referenced having many blog friends whom I've never met but share a bond with and your name leads the list to which I was referring. You've inspired me with our comments as much or more than any inspiration you may have received from what I've written. Bless you my friend.

Rex Ray said...

Paul,
Hope you the best with the knee.
How do you like “He touched me”?

Shackled by a heavy burden.
Neath a load of guilt and shame.
Then the hand of Jesus touched me.
Now I am no longer the same.

He touched me, oh He touched me.
And oh the joy that floods my soul.
Something happened and now I know.
He touched me and made me whole.

Since I met the blessed Savior.
Since He cleansed and made me whole.
I will never cease to praise Him.
I'll shout it while eternity rolls.

He touched me, oh He touched me.
And oh the joy that floods my soul.
Something happened and now I know.
He touched me and made me whole.

I’ve attended many services at Tokyo Baptist Church in Japan. I used to play ball with their pastor. Their many nationalities worshiped in English.

Once, they had a visiting preacher. I’ll never forget him. He was a short pudgy guy that I prejudged to preach a nice SS lesson.

He told of preaching to a church in part of the world that was persecuted. The building was dark with only a few candles and members wore hoods over their heads.

As they left through a narrow door, none shook his hand and seemed reluctant as he gave each one a hug. He was surprised they were all women.
Their pastor explained they hadn’t been touched in many years as they were lepers.

The guy stopped talking and sang beautiful as an angel—“He touched me”.

NCarolinian said...

Hello Brother Paul,
I'm reading your blog for the first time and appreciate this one right off the bat! It reminds me so much of Isa. 53:3 - He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. - I will be blogging about that shortly and quoting you. Check it out when you have the time. God bless you.

NCarolinian said...

Paul,
Here is my blog spun off of what you have commented in yours here. I hope it blesses you.
http://pritchardsplace.blogspot.com/2013/10/disguised-commoner.html