Monday, August 11, 2008

PARDON THE INTERRUPTION

It's been far too long since I've put something up on this blog site. I realize that all too well. I will get the Old School/New School thoughts completed eventually. But this summer has been as eventful as any I can remember for the Burleson household. Writing a blog post has really taken a back seat to other things, especially of late.

It all started with surgery in June. I thought I would be up and going in two or three days. It has been two months or more and I'm still struggling with the aftermath of it all.

Without going into the gory details just know that the lower part of both jaws down to the base of my neck is an area that feels exactly like your mouth feels after two or three hours in the dentist chair. It doesn't feel at all. It's as dead as a hammer. My speaking ability has been affected though my awareness of it is more than the awareness of those who hear me speak. I did have to cancel a final Sunday at Wade's fellowship and a pastor's conference in Portland Oregon in July. Suffice it to say it has not been a pleasant ordeal and I've discovered I've a long ways to go in the development of patience.

You can add to all that the construction that has gone on because of a dream coming to fruition. With our home paid for, we decided to put in a small pool and patio area in our back yard. Our pool builder told us to remember that to get an omelet you have to break some eggs. I thought at the time that it was a cute statement but discovered it wasn't cute at all. Broken eggs are not cute. But the omelet is done. It includes a small pool, a fire-pit on the north end of the pool, a rather large concrete patio area as well as a brick retaining wall because we're in a flood plane area. It is beautiful. But the eggs breaking to make it all included dust, dirt, people by the dozens around all day long, heat, problems, personal involvement, [I made several trips to the grocery store for ice, chips, coke and water for all the workers because of record breaking heat of 107 degrees for one thing] dealing with the city on codes, and, generally, a mess of a time. But it was well worth it all as the pool builder said it would be. Mary and I swam yesterday afternoon. We hosted friends last night. Our married kids [those who can] and our grand kids will be coming labor day for my famous hamburgers and a day in the pool. What more could you want?

I'm not ready to write a post yet that takes concentration but soon will be, I promise. Thanks for being more patient than am I.

Paul B.

5 comments:

Bob Cleveland said...

You sound fine to me. But remember sssssssssssk-k-k-k-kffffffffffffff hhhhhhaskreeeeeeee I learned to talk by hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssss listening to a hhhhhhhhhhhssssssssshhhhhhhhh short wave radio.

Paul Burleson said...

Bob,

Thanks for the comment. [I think.]

Paul Burleson said...

Bob,

I left out the "LOL" but it was there as you can imagine.

Lin said...

Paul, I went online and watched your sermon at Emmanuel on Sanctification. I was very blessed by it and even took notes on my computer while listening. Isn't the 21st Century grand?

You sounded great. The content was even better. :o)

Paul Burleson said...

Lin,

Grand indeed. I think my struggle is more inside me and the way it feels physically. Even Wade couldn't tell any difference he said. But it is really better now.