Monday, July 24, 2006

WHEN IT GETS HOT

Yesterday I read a missionary's blog that told of a church planter who is having some success in planting three churches, baptizing several people, and is now under severe persecution. He has been driven from the village and the new believers are under the threat of death. This is just within the last few days if my understanding is correct. The request was that we pray. I did and will continue to do so.

Then I read Wade's post on "If you can't stand the heat." Well put as usual. I have some thoughts as a result of all this.

In Acts 4:23-33 the incident is related about Peter and John reporting to the church after being told to quit preaching Jesus under heavy threat. They firmly but politely declined the order and told the church all about it. The church, for good reason, began to pray about it all. I'm amazed at their prayer.

They started by recognizing that God is Sovereign. [A good place to begin don't you think?] Then, they admitted the pain and threat. [No head in the sand let's say only good things here.] Finally, in verse 29, they prayed for...not removal from the threat...not protection through the threat...not destruction of those who threatened...but for boldness to do the very thing that caused the threat in the first place. Verse 31 shows they got an answer to their prayer and...PREACHED THE WORD.

The result of this particular situation was great power and great grace. It may be that great power and great grace are sometimes more important than great safety. And it is certainly evident that obedience is to be prefered more than safety.

I do know it is too easy for me to say this while here in the comfort of my air conditioned home. Maybe were I in the village.........? Maybe I'm to enter into prayer for them and if my time of threat comes be ready to practice what I preach.

Paul Burleson

Update...I've now formed a "Missionary Corner" on my desktop and have put links to people like Stepchild, David, Guy, Lew, Mr. T, Emily, Crystal, Jerry, Joe and their families/coworkers as I get to know them. These are prayed for regularly [no promises of daily as I hate making specific promises and getting into a bondage over it] and communicated with some. Besides, I want the Spirit to be able to prompt at anytime.

This is all in response to punching some "holes in the darkness" post of Wade's blog. More will be added I'm sure. Maybe this means nothing to others but it is really special to me.

PB

6 comments:

J. Guy Muse said...

I too read with interest the article by the M I think you are referring to in your post ("Mr.T?") May we all stop and pray...

Just this morning, I spent several hours with a couple whom we trained several months ago. I had not heard anything from them this whole time. Today they came to the house to share all that God is doing in their lives. After their training with us, they sensed the Lord's leadership to leave everything behind here in the city and move out to a difficult area of the country to serve. They came for advise on how to deal with several new works and to share with me their dreams for the work in that region where God has led them. This couple was visibly moved as they shared with me the story of another couple they recently met, who every week have taken it upon themselves to walk long distances with their small children through difficult terrain to reach the place God has called them to. They were moved at the dedication of this couple sacrificially serving without any recognition or pay from anybody (only the Lord). As you point out in your post, our part in all these things is to stand in the gap and pray for these dear brothers and sisters in Christ as they are on the front lines of breaking into the enemy's territory. Thanks for your faithful praying for all of us.

wadeburleson.org said...

Could not have said it better!

I feel a sermon coming on!

Wade

Kevin Bussey said...

Very timely post for me!

Thanks!

Tim Sweatman said...

"The result of this particular situation was great power and great grace. It may be that great power and great grace are sometimes more important than great safety. And it is certainly evident that obedience is to be prefered more than safety."

Praying for the removal of the threat indicates a self-centered mindset. Praying for boldness to proclaim the gospel in the face of threats indicates a God-centered mindset. This reminds me of the Chinese church leader who was visiting America. An American pastor told him, "We are praying that the persecution of the church in China will end." The Chinese leader's response surprised him: "Please do not pray for such a thing. Indeed, we have been praying for persecution to come to the church in America." Which country do you think is seeing an explosion in the growth of the church?

Brett and Kelly Burleson said...

Hey Dad,

Thanks for your words. Your site has become kind of a daily (or weekly) devotion for me. Don't mena to sound corny in any way, just want you to know that I really look forward to hearing your thoughts and they always seem to hit me right at home.

Felling blessed and wanted to share.
BRB

Paul said...

Nice. Very nice, indeed.