Monday, May 15, 2017

THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THE LIFE OF FAITH WILL BE EASY!

For as long as I can remember some Christians, especially television preachers, have emphasized "victory, success, healing, and material blessings" as the path for EVERY believer who truly lives "by faith!" The only problem is that not only misses reality, it misses the emphasis of the scripture entirely. According to the Biblical materials the ONLY guarantee any of us have IN THIS LIFE is that God LOVES us and He will NEVER leave us nor forsake us. A Christian may be healed, but they might NOT be. A Christian may be materially blessed, but they might NOT be. A Christian may have a successful marriage, but they might NOT have one, because they have a partner that chooses, for whatever reason, to leave the union. Christians suffer at the hands of a brutal criminals. They sometimes find out they have a disease for which there is NO CURE or one that IS NOT cured. It isn't that God can't or even doesn't heal some, but, the point is that He doesn't do so EVERY TIME, even for those living by faith. They may receive bad news about their children. And on and on I could go.

But here's the deal, our lives "in Christ" are built upon a much more solid rock than any circumstance that makes us comfortable with health, wealth and happiness being undisturbed. That rock is CHRIST HIMSELF and He will NEVER LEAVE US nor FORSAKE us and is coming to establish His Eternal Kingdom with a New Heavens and a New Earth!
What an eye-opener it would be for ANY of us as American Christians to be magically transported overseas to live among radical Islamists, massive poverty, and barren wastelands of dry, dusty earth. It might help us realize that when our Christian message of comfort revolves around material things as evidence of God's blessings and favor, the way we're thinking has been "materially" corrupted and no longer represents the true message of the Bible. [We have been blessed with ALL spiritual blessings IN CHRIST JESUS!] Just remember that if a message or truth any preacher brings CANNOT be lived out in ANY nation on earth, it isn't scripturally true for this nation either.
A few years ago our son, Wade Burleson, wrote a poem and sent it to a family in the fellowship he pastors that was facing some horrible circumstances at the time. I found it yesterday and thought you might enjoy it as well. As Wade said back then,"Maybe God can use this poem to encourage you as these things happen in your life, or worse, as the answer to your prayers is exactly opposite of what you have requested."



My Lord's Guarantee
There are days you’ll hear news that burdens your soul.
Words will come that cause you to feel less than whole.
Those times are planned by Me for a special reason,
To give you My comfort in your particularly dark season.
I may not always make things perfect and secure,
But I will show you two things that are absolutely sure.
My unconditional love for you will never change or abate.
And your life is not in the hands of earthly chance or fate.
I have taken hold of you and supported you by My hand,
To ensure the evil around you will not forever stand.
Assurance of My love is found not in what you can see.
It is established in the personal faith you have in Me.
It may be that I designed this affliction to end with death.
For this reason you must trust Me with your every breath.
You came to this world with nothing but My love for you,
And it is this unfailing love that will see you through.

Thanks Wade!

Paul B.

4 comments:

Steve Miller said...

Thanks Paul,

Have not heard from you awhile on your blog and it was so refreshing to get a word from you this morning. Such a timely word at that. I am refreshed every morning when I know I can approach the Father and receive a word of His unfailing love. To proclaim His loving-kindness in the morning and His faithfulness at the end of the day. Thank you for your timely word and also for a sensitive and timely poem from Wade. Trust you and Mary are doing well. Blessings

Steve

Paul Burleson said...

Steve,

With the popularity of Facebook and my personal use of it to reach nearly 3000 friends, I've not been as consistent on my blog as before. I'm going to TRY to write or post at least weekly. But who knows. Thanks for reading and all the Burlesons are doing well.

Aussie John said...

Paul,

I can only reiterate Steves words! Each morning lately I've opened your blog and missed a good,encouraging friend with whom I am of one mind.

Your words certainly underline, in no uncertain terms, the experience of my dear wife and my latter years, with each day emphasizing that "our lives "in Christ" are built upon a much more solid rock than any circumstance that makes us comfortable with health, wealth and happiness being undisturbed. That rock is CHRIST HIMSELF and He will NEVER LEAVE US nor FORSAKE us".

Paul Burleson said...

Aussie J,

Your comments are ALWAYS a welcome addition to any thought I put up. Thanks so much for both reading AND commenting.