Tuesday, October 15, 2013

THE CHARGE OF "EXCLUSIVISM" AND AN ANSWER

We often hear the charge of "exclusivism" concerning our gospel of Christ. When we say that Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to have a relationship with God the Father, the ONLY way for the gap between God and man to be bridged, and the ONLY One who can bring a spiritually dead person [Which consists of all the human race] back to life because He alone is the ONLY source of the authority [power] to do so, it does sound rather "exclusive" doesn't it!

But, think about it, when someone argues that every single person's view of how to get to God is valid, and that each person's view must be held with equal appreciation for being true, [which is defined by many as "inclusiveness" as opposed to "exclusiveness."] what we find is that the road to "relativism" has been traveled by the one making that argument. They are literally saying that each individual is able to construct their own truth because, after all, who has ALL the truth anyway!  [Relativism is the philosophical position that all points of view are equally valid and that all truth is relative to the individual.]  

I would agree that no one person has ALL the truth about almost any subject that one could mention. But that, in and of itself, isn't the same as saying any and all views of how to relate to God are truthful. In fact, to accept the idea that all views of how to relate to God are valid is, in a real fashion, to revert back to the old idea of trying to be "like God," since only He alone can really say. If I remember correctly, that was at the heart of the original sin committed by the ArchAngel Lucifer, was it not! 

The gospel is NOT, in my personal view, one option among many other valid options about the way to redemption and salvation. Jesus Christ is not an option, He IS the only way.

It is even possible, I think, to make too much of a need to be open about other belief-systems and their way of "getting to God," for fear some people might be offended by our "Christ Alone" message as Christians. This is because the REAL issue IS NOT belief systems at all. Or even about being offensive, as damaging and callous as that can often be. The issue is far greater than any of that. 

The real issue is a matter of " Life or death!" It seems to me that in scripture mankind has been offered an either/or  [“Yes” or “No” if you will!]  choice of whether we will accept redemption and eternal life in Christ. A "yes"brings inclusion. The opposing choice of "no" is rejection of Him with the result of...you get the picture I'm sure. “He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life” [I Jn. 5:12]. 

So the REAL PROBLEM of "exclusion" is to be found in a rejection of the One Who is Himself God's gift of Grace for salvation. THAT truly does produces a heartbreaking "exclusion." 

I think I will continue to share the gospel of Christ alone as man's ONLY hope of eternal life. That pending reality of a final "exclusion" is far too important for me to fail to do so. Paul the Apostle put his finger on what I'm attempting to say when he said...

"As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world has been crucified, and the world's interest in me has also died."
Galatians 6:14  [NLB]


Paul B.

6 comments:

Chuck Andrews said...

"It seems to me that in scripture mankind has been offered an either/or [“Yes” or “No” if you will!] choice of whether we will accept redemption and eternal life in Christ. A "yes"brings inclusion. The opposing choice of "no" is rejection of Him with the result of...you get the picture I'm sure."

This is exactly what Peter preached when he said,

“He is the STONE WHICH WAS REJECTED by you, THE BUILDERS, but WHICH BECAME THE CHIEF CORNER stone. “And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.” (Ac 4:11–12)

Relativism says there "might" be other ways. The Gospel of grace says there is only one way "by which we must be saved."

Great explanation of exclusivism!!!

Paul Burleson said...

Chuck,

Thanks my friend and welcome home from a REALLY SUCCESSFUL [I saw all the pics] hunting trip. That's one for the record books for us ordinary hunting guys.

Garen Martens said...

I have a relative who argues this point. Thanks for some clarity for me to use when having this discussion with them.

Paul Burleson said...

Garen,

I hope it helps.

Aussie John said...

Paul,

Thank you for the affirmation of the amazing truth!

I have no doubt, having met many, that there are those, claiming to be Christian, who, like the Pharisees in Jesus day use the Scriptures like a gymnasium,reading diligently as a spiritual muscle building exercise, and yet are doing what the Pharisees did, as Jesus said,"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life".

In this life we can never attain the level of spiritual fitness required to live in the presence of the Father.

Our ONLY substitute fulfilled that requirement for me, and my brethren.

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need".

Paul Burleson said...

Aussie J,

I love this..."I have no doubt, having met many, that there are those, claiming to be Christian, who, like the Pharisees in Jesus day, use the Scriptures like a gymnasium, reading diligently as a spiritual muscle building exercise, and yet are doing what the Pharisees did, as Jesus said,"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life".

Thanks!!