Monday, July 27, 2009

ICE CREAM IS SOUL FOOD

This is another post which is among my personal favorites that I've chosen to put up this summer. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It was first posted on 2/24/07.

"I read the following and was smitten by it so much that I wanted to put it on my blog as a post. I do so with the permission of Charles Roberts who hosts the blog uniquely called "The Blog Itch." It's a play on "scratching where people itch" in discussing things and he does it well, scratching where I itch at least. The incident was relayed to him from the father, who is a missionary with Wycliffe Bible Translators, of the boy who did what you're about to read. It is just some good stuff that I want to pass along. Thanks Charles for permission to do so. Enjoy. __________________________________________________________________

"Last week, I took my children to a restaurant. My six-year-old son asked if he could say grace. As we bowed our heads he said, "God is good, God is great. Thank you for the food, and I would even thank you more if Mom gets us ice cream for dessert. Liberty and justice for all! Amen!"

Along with the laughter from the other customers nearby, I heard a woman remark, "That's what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Asking God for ice cream! Why, I never!"

Hearing this, my son burst into tears and asked me, "Did I do it wrong? Is God mad at me?" As I held him and assured him that he had done a terrific job, and God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table. He winked at my son and said, "I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer." "Really?" my son asked. "Cross my heart," the man replied. Then, in a theatrical whisper, he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing), "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes."

Naturally, I bought my kids ice cream at the end of the meal. My son stared at his for a moment, and then did something I will remember the rest of my life. He picked up his sundae and, without a word, walked over and placed it in front of the woman. With a big smile he told her, "Here, this is for you. Ice cream is good for the soul sometimes; and my soul is good already." ______________________________________________________________

I agree. Ice cream IS good for the soul. Excuse me while I go feed my soul.

Paul B.

3 comments:

Chris Ryan said...

Kids say the darndest things.

Jesus told us to pray for bread. It's no jump from there to ice cream.

But it's also a reminder to us how fragile faith like a child's can be. Hopefully, each of us will encourage that faith like the elderly gentleman did, rather than crush it be suggesting it isn't doing things the "right way."

Aussie John said...

Paul,

Thanks for that one.

The old gentleman was in the right place at the right time.

Coincidence? Don't think so! Says a lot about the child as well as Mum and Dad.

I know you covered the main point of the story, but: Leaving us in the dark about the woman's reaction?

Paul Burleson said...

Chris,

I agree. In fact, I've come to see that the New Covenant isn't interested that much in "doing things the right way." The NC emphasis is being to people the right gift at the right time. That elderly gentleman was very NC [christian] to my way of thinking.


Aussie John,

Unfortunately the story ended there. But, like you, I would have LOVED to know her reaction to the whole thing. It was a "that's special" little Divine moment to my way of thinking.